Friday, August 26, 2016

PAST TENSE

by .  |  in Tenses at  11:57:00 AM



past tense


There are two tenses in English – past and present.
The past tense in English is used:
·         to talk about the past
·         to talk about hypotheses – things that are imagined rather than true.
·         for politeness.
There are four past tense forms in English:
Tense
Form
Past simple:
I worked
Past continuous:
I was working
Past perfect:
I had worked
Past perfect continuous:
I had been working
We use these forms:
·         to talk about the past:
He worked at McDonald’s. He had worked there since July..
He was working at McDonald’s. He had been working since July.
·         to refer to the present or future in conditions:
He could get a new job if he really tried.
If Jack was playing they would probably win.
and hypotheses:
It might be dangerous. Suppose they got lost.
I would always help someone who really needed help.
and wishes:
I wish it wasn’t so cold.
·         In conditions, hypotheses and wishes, if we want to talk about the past, we always use thepast perfect:
I would have helped him if he had asked.
It was very dangerous, What if you had got lost?
I wish I hadn’t spent so much money last month.

·         We can use the past forms to talk about the present in a few polite expressions:
Excuse me, I was wondering if this was the train for York.
I just hoped you would be able to help me.


0 comments:

Proudly Powered by Blogger.